What if I'm Injured?

After injury or illness occurs, the employee must complete a report of injury claim form (Form SF-1). This form is submitted to the state workers' compensation board. Normally, your employer will have the claim forms available. The employer will also submit the claim to its insurance company. If the employer or its insurance company does not contest the claim, payment of medical bills and wages will be made by the workers compensation insurance company.

If needed, a hearing can be scheduled if the employer contests the claim to determine whether, or how much, compensation or medical care is owed to the employee. In the event that your employer fails to pay a legitimate claim for medical care the workers compensation board may award you attorney fees for the cost of bringing this action.